Composite moulds for the automotive and motorsport industry
Composite moulds are nowadays the best solution to replace metallic materials, thanks to their features. In motorsport projects as well as automotive and industrial ones, the flexibility, the dimensional stability and the resistance to high temperatures are of great importance, indeed. These properties allow in fact to realize: chassis, the body works, aerodynamic applications and air ducts of vehicles, just to name a few.
Glass and carbon fibres (on which an epoxy resin is applied) are usually chosen for moulds.
Which are the advantages of composite moulds?
- High mechanical features
- Dimensional stability
- High temperature resistance
- Possibility to produce more tools with the same mould
- Easily reparable
- Lower cost
- Chance to create complex shapes
Moreover, an additional advantage is the possibility to produce the mould independently. Thus this allows to save time and money.
Did you know?
In the architectural sector we find a lot of examples of composite materials for tooling applications.
Moulds coming from manual lamination of a glass composite associated to polyester resin have been used in fact, during the renovation of Sagrada Familia in Barcelona. These items allowed to realize the windows of the building quickly, in a flexible way, with an excellent result when compared to traditional materials.
Why to choose us for tooling applications
- 70-year experience in the fabric production lead to E6 Family of tooling systems;
- a wide range of reinforcement available for production ﬂexibility and surface ﬁnish;
- matrix can be chosen in term of price, latency and service temperature;
- a large database is available in term of tooling material compatibility with diﬀerent master model, sealer and release agents to obtain the best ﬁnal results;
- generally small batches are in stock for fast delivery and prompt answer to customer as requested in motorsport sector;
- technical support available for tailoring solutions and fast process setup.
Would you like to know more?
Microtex Composites developed E6 series: 4 epoxy resins specially realized for tooling applications.
Why E6-181, E6-187, E6-215 and E6-217 are so wow
- Low volatile content
- Low cure temperature (from 45°C)
- Carbon fabric weight between 193 g/mq and 1.250 g/mq
Let’s discover C-Block 160 for your tooling systems
C-Block 160 is a composite block made out of recycled carbon fibre and epoxy resin. It is suitable for a variety of structural, thermal or even aesthetic applications.
C-Block 160 advantages compared to aluminium moulds
- Lower thermal inertia of tool
- Lightness and easy to repair
- Low thermal expansion of tool during cure